Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Variegated Variegated Crochet Ripple Afghan

I have alot of variegated yarn. Some of it I bought myself and some has been passed down to me. I have some from my Grandma that I really like, but there isn't much of it. So I decided to do a scrap type afghan using just the variegated yarns and one solid to tie them together. And this is what I came up with. I really love how this is turning out!



The pattern is super simple and the width and length are easily adjusted.  

Variegated Variegated Crochet Ripple Afghan

I (5.5mm) hook
Black and Vareigated Worsted Weight Yarn
Gauge- 1 ripple = 3 1/2"
example: 11 ripples = 38" wide 

 Notes: To change the size add or take away ripples. 
            For each ripple, chain 14.
            Gauge on this is only important in determining how wide your afghan will be.


3dc dec: (YO, insert hook in next st and pull up a loop, YO and pull through 2 loops) 3 times, YO, pull through all 4 loops left on hook.

With black, ch 154. (11 ripples)
Row 1:  Ch 3, 2 dc in fourth ch from hook, dc in the next 3 chs, (3dc dec in the next 3 chs) twice, dc in the next 3 chs, 3 dc in the next ch. That completes your first ripple. 
For the rest of the ripples you will do: 3 dc in the next ch, dc in the next 3 chs, (3dc dec in the next 3 ch) twice, dc in the next 3 chs, 3 dc in the next ch. Finish off and turn.

Switch to variegated.

Row 2:  *3 dc in first st, dc in the next 3 sts, (3dc dec in the next 3 sts) twice, dc in the next 3 sts, 3 dc in the next st* Repeat to end. Finish off and turn.

Repeat row 2 alternating the black and variegated yarns until you reach your desired length.

I will share more pictures as I make progress. 


16 comments:

  1. That is GORGEOUS!! I have made several granny squares with my assortments of variegated, but I think this one beats them hands down!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At end of row 1 - I do not turn??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do turn. I just fixed that. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

      Delete
  3. Oh ok - then do I chain to start off the row? Thanks

    I'm ready to go as I love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right above Row 1 there is a link to the way I like to start new rows with new colors. There is a picture tutorial and a video tutorial.

      Delete
  4. Forgot to ask - I'm new to crochet - how do I finish off as you added to row 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are at the end, ch 1, cut yarn 5 inches from hook and pull yarn through. Tighten and weave in end well. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  5. Hi Kimberly, I love the looks of this afghan. It's gorgeous and I can't wait to make it. I'm wondering if I am doing it right because it looks like I didn't finish the last leg of that ripple. I thought I was reading it right, because I used up the number of recommended chains. Am I reading it wrong? I'd appreciate it you could clarify it for me. Also wondering if you put a border. Thanks so much! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love this afghan. How many skeins of the variegated yarn did you use. It looks from the picture like 1 maybe 2 rows of each color so maybe 1 skein of each variegated yarn. I can't wait to run out and get my yarns!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pattern! I used it to make a blanket for my sister-in-law. i posted it here. https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=926574397380391&id=171421809562324 I used white instead of black and it gave it a lighter feel. Really love the pattern. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. asking...so last stitch on first row ends as a 3 dbl...and you start the next row with 3dbl in first stitch...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you tired of looking for bitcoin faucets?
    Double your claiming speed with this advanced BTC FAUCET ROTATOR.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Invest in Ripple on eToro the World’s Best Social Trading Network!

    Join 1,000,000's who have already discovered better strategies for investing in Ripple...

    Learn from profitable eToro traders or copy their positions automatically!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you think about picking the best Bitcoin exchange company: YoBit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if I am doing the pattern correctly. The picture appears to have the three dbl crochet together lined up evenly in each row.mine isn't working out that way. Help

    ReplyDelete